A glimpse inside Rachel's diary, a typical book of the time. I've taken the picture from Rosemary Young's book.
Rachel, Sept. 1, 1864: "This has been an eventful year with all the world and with myself and family. I opened school in a new barn on the Allen Robinson farm on the first Monday in April (and closed August 16, 1864). Lost but 2 days and that not for sickness - had two letters from home. In the first I learned that my youngest brother, John King, was killed in battle on the 17th of Sept. 1862, and in the last I learned that my dear father died in Maruy Co. Tenn on the 10th of July 1864. Hundreds of battles have been faught in our divided country - citizens killed and robbed, houses burned and people driven from their homes and God alone knows how or when our troubles will end."
8 kommentarer:
I have been looking at your Civil War blocks. You have done a very good job of fabric selection and piecing.
Beautiful job, that is one of my favourite blocks of the book
I really like your new heading, and I am looking forward to see your beautiful CWD blocks in real life :-)
Wow. I love your blocks. I try to be a quilter but seems to be distracted by quick wins (bags and such) instead. I'll be back for more inspiration. Ha en riktig god påske.
Another gorgeous block Elin!! Love the colours!!
Elin, your Civil War blocks look great. I should say perfect. I bet it means so much more when you can learn the history of the time when it was made originally. And that was only 150 years ago. Wow, so much has changed in so little a time. And...some things haven't. Your work is beautiful. Thanks for sharing, Love Stacy
Hello, the palette of colours that you use in this project is very pretty.
Your piecing is picture perfect and your colour selection just lovely. How inspiring!
Legg inn en kommentar